No one expects to get injured on the job, but accidents happen. That’s why it’s important to always work safely, no matter what industry you’re in. This article provides reasons on safety procedures to work safe, and advice on how to follow that through in your daily duties.
Here are some figures that show the potential issues that can occur when we do not consider our safety while working.
- There were 4,764 fatal work injuries recorded in the U.S. in 2020.
- This equates to 3.4 fatalities per 100,000 full time or equivalent workers
- American employers reported 2.7 million injury and illness cases during 2020 across all private industry
Work safe – Your life depends on it!
Why is working safely important?
There are numerous reasons that working safely is important:
It protects you and your coworkers
If you don’t follow safety procedures, you risk injuring yourself or your coworkers. Slips, trips, and falls are the most common type of workplace accident, and can cause serious injuries if you’re not careful.
It protects your equipment
If you don’t take care of your equipment, it won’t last as long. Working safely helps ensure that your equipment stays in good condition, which can save you money in the long run.
It prevents environmental damage
Working safely helps prevent environmental damage caused by accidents or careless behavior. For example, spilling chemicals can contaminate soil and water supplies, and improperly disposing of hazardous materials can create dangerous spills.
It avoids fines and penalties
If you don’t follow safety regulations, you may be fined or penalized by your employer. These fines and penalties can be expensive, so it’s always best to play it safe.
OSHA regulations for working safe
OSHA has issued a large number of regulations and standards, all of which are aimed at encouraging employees to work safe and employers to provide workers with a safe environment in which to carry out their daily tasks.
You can see all of OSHA’s standards for general industry displayed on the administration’s website.
These provide guidance on safe working practices and behaviors.
Hazards of not working safe
There are many hazards that come with not working safely across all industries. Some of these hazards can include:
- slips, trips and falls
- being struck by a moving object
- exposure to hazardous materials
- exposure to electrical currents
- fires and explosions
Not working safely can lead to injuries and fatalities, as well as indirect hazards such as lost productivity and lowered morale.
Work Safe Toolbox Talk
Every job has its own set of hazards and risks. Working safely is the best way to protect yourself from potential injuries. Here are some of the reasons why you should work safe:
1. To avoid injuries – This one is obvious. If you don’t want to get injured, then you need to take the necessary precautions to avoid accidents.
2. To stay healthy – Working in an unsafe environment can lead to health problems down the road. By working safe, you’re reducing your risk of developing illnesses or injuries.
3. To avoid costly accidents – An injury or illness can cause a lot of financial stress. Not only do you have to pay for medical expenses, but you may also lose wages if you’re unable to work. Working safe can help prevent costly accidents from happening.
4. For the safety of your co-workers – No one wants to see their co-workers get injured. When everyone works safe, it creates a more positive and safe work environment for everyone.
Injuries from not working safe
In many industries, there are specific injuries that can occur when workers don’t work safe. For example, construction workers can suffer from falls, slips, and trips. These falls can often result in serious injuries, such as broken bones, lacerations, and head injuries. Other common injuries in the construction industry include electric shock, burns, and noise-induced hearing loss.
In the manufacturing industry, workers can suffer from a variety of injuries, including machine entanglement, chemical burns, and amputations. Additionally, workers in the food service industry can suffer from various types of burns, as well as cuts and lacerations.
It is important for workers to be aware of the risks associated with their jobs and to take appropriate safety precautions to avoid these injuries. By working safe, workers can help keep themselves safe and healthy on the job.
Questions to employees
- What are the top reasons to work safe?
- What can happen if you don’t work safe?
- What are some common injuries that occur when working unsafely?
- What are some steps that you can take to protect yourself while working?
Promote working safe with this email template
Working safe is critical in any industry. Here are some tips to keep in mind when working:
1. Make sure you wear the appropriate safety gear for the job.
2. Follow all safety protocols and procedures.
3. Keep your work area clean and organized.
4. Report any safety concerns or hazards to your supervisor immediately.
5. Always stay alert and aware of your surroundings.
Working safely is everyone’s responsibility. Let’s all make a conscious effort to keep ourselves and our coworkers safe!
Video on working safe
Work safe meme
Working safe is critical in any industry. There are many reasons to work safe, including preventing injuries, complying with safety regulations, and protecting your coworkers. Working safe is essential to ensuring a safe and productive workplace. Thank you for reading about the importance of working safe.